Painting by Antoni Tapies

Painting by Antoni Tapies

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Where now then?.....










PUSHKIN'S POEMS



I

"Where now then? Ah, these poetic characters!"
"Goodbye, Yevgeny, it's time. I must.."
"I do not keep you. But tell me, please,
Where do you spend your evenings now?"
" At the Larins." "Ah, there, but how strange.
Good heavens! Is it not torture fit to bust
To slaughter every evening there?"
"Not at all." "I cannot understand you.
Ah yes, I see it, what it must be
In the first place (admit it, is it true?)
A simple Russian family,
With over zealous hospitality,
Preserves and chutneys and endless prattle
About rain, about crops, and about their cattle."



II
"I still see nothing wrong in that ."
"But tedious, that's what is wrong, my friend."
"I hate your modern, fashionable set.
Give me the home life and home circle,
Where I may…" "Ah! How pastoral!
Enough, enough. For God's sake Lensky.
Well? So you're going? What a pity.
But listen: is it impossible
For me to see this gentle Phyllida,
The object of your thoughts and pen,
Your tears, your rhymes, et cetera?
Introduce me." "You're joking." "Not at all."
"Gladly." "When?" "Why, now, if you have leisure.
They'll always smile and welcome us with pleasure."




III
"Let's go then." -
They set off rapidly,
And soon at the Larin's are ensconced.
The attentiveness at times was wearying
Of the old fashioned hospitality.
Of well known treats a plethora:
Preserves on dishes are brought in,
On a polished table then is placed
A jug with cranberry water in
. . . . . .
. . . . . .






Source:  Text  and  Image:  Online



No comments:

Post a Comment